A photo speaks a thousand words.
Are you listening?
What is a Visual Diary?
It is your secret weapon for style inspiration. Get dressed, select your accessories, put your shoes on, and grab your handbag. Take a photo.
Don't despair some photos will look unflattering due to poor lighting, bad angle etc. There is a reason photographers take time putting a photo shoot together. We’re just aiming for a quick candid pic. It can be beneficial to take about 5 photos at a time.
The aim of the game
Note what works and what doesn't.
• Does your look match your personality?
• Did that accessory match that top?
• Did that outfit flatter your shape or do nothing for you?
• Did that colour make your eyes shine?
Why bother with a visual diary
Seeing your outfit in a photo can be better then a mirror. A collection of photos are great for making side by side comparisions.
With the aid of a Visual Diary you can discover
• That colour purple in that shade is fantastic on you
• Know if your look is really you. If you are fun and totally awesome, does your look say I’m fun and confident? Or is it screaming I’m a timid librarian. No disregard to librarians, but you get the point right?
Now you are armed with valuable knowledge
Write a list of ideas. Yes put your ideas in writing, and keep that handy in your purse.
Your list might be:
• Blue makes my eyes sparkle, try on large blue pendants
• All my shoes are black, experiment with a few colours
• I have a navy dress that is screaming for a bright orange bangle
Be adventurous and try new things
When you go shopping, select things that will compliment what you already have. Try new combinations, new colours, mix things up. You may be surprised. If you don’t like it, if it doesn’t suit you, don’t buy it. You must be comfortable with wearing this new item or it is a wasted purchase. A waste of money and waste of space in your wardrobe.
Ask for a critique
Share your Visual Diary with a trusted friend and ask for their honest opinion. Most friends will struggle to tell you the truth. They love you too much to hurt your feelings. You need an opinionated friend.
Now promise me you’ll do this. Every time you take a photo or analysis them say out loud “I am a gorgeous person inside and out”. We are our own worst critics. Balance every negative thought with a positive one.
When will you start your Visual Diary?
I'd love to hear your thoughts. Share the lessons you've learnt. Send me an email or leave a comment here. I’d love to hear from you. Share this post with some friends and do this project together.
Follow Me | Facebook | Twitter